Plant biotechnology and its importance
What is meant by Plant Biotechnology?
- “Application of science and technology to plants, parts, products and models, to alter living or inert materials, in order to develop knowledge, goods and services” (OECD)
- “Plant Biology Based Technology” (BIOVEGEN)
What are the applications?
- Improvement of varieties according to relevant agronomic features:
- Productivity (resistance to biotic stress: pests, viruses, pathogens, abiotic stress tolerance to drought, salinity … herbicide tolerance. Plant-soil interaction, nutrient absorption, metabolism improvement, etc.)
- Nutrition improvement: vitamin enrichment, flavor enhancement, nutraceutical foods.
- Post-harvest Physiology (fruit ripening delay)
- Food processing, IV range
- Ornamental plants improvement: structure, size, color, smell, fruit absence…
- Phytoremediation: contaminants removal
- Biofuels: bioenergy crops (1st, 2nd, 3rd generation)
- Biofactories: biopolymers, therapeutic proteins, biodegradable plastics, etc.
- Natural diversity exploitation and biodiversity protection
Productivity, quality, sustainability, new applications